Friday, August 29, 2008

wireless wisdom.

First of all, wi-fi at Mc Donald’s is not free.

$3.11 for 2 hours.

Just so ya know. if you were hoping to duck in for a mocha and a quick, free visit to the web. Perhaps the first is still enjoyable (yes, they have good Mochas! Do not judge me), but you can check the latter off your list.

Also, check off getting your wisdom teeth pulled out.

With their removal came just more holes in my life. Needing to be filled. And so, with the ever-slow, pain-killer-filled process followed by nausea and puking from the couch, awakens the new me. Fresh off the ‘ole couch. And realizing that with the loss of my wisdom comes the promise of much more to gain. At year #2 in seminary. Woo hoo!

Some may argue that I was under the influence of meds when I chose to accept the teaching position at my local WI high school just a few weeks ago. Yes, the very high school which I graduated from not many light years ago. I accepted the teaching position via the phone from my finishing-up weeks in Hawaii. A real passionate, exciting idea it was in my mind. But alas, I hit the ground running from the moment my plane hit the ocean-less, mountain-less WI ground.

And I felt the force of revelation hit me like I ran into a tree: an awakening. I was not prepared to teach. And, as I realized, passion for something is not a substitute for proper preparation.

It was humbling, disappointing, and challenging to admit that I made the wrong decision. But as I seem to travel through life in a mad series of circles (and dashes), I soon found myself back-tracking, reversing, or, u might say, propelling ahead once again to plan A. Back to seminary in Holland, MI with the subject I love. With the friends that have helped form, free, and find me in so many ways, and a lot of stories to share straight from the island of Kauai.

It’s now been a week since I lost my wisdom (teeth).

But, with the promise of inspiring classes on the way, and a new language (Hebrew) to add to my in-the-process body art, I take a deep breath. and smile. The smile a mixture of pain meds, mocha latte, and more tattoos to come. And the reminder from the Beloved today that He has made me glorious. Not sure that I see the latter, but hey, I now have more space to let Him work His magic.

And I have a GPS now.

So, maybe I can stop traveling in circles. For a while.

Let’s remember the words of our late friend: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: “One lives but once in the world.”

No comments: